Friday, February 4, 2011

Gotta See It!

 
Now, I have been told on more than one occasion by my friends that I have a "weird" taste in movies. I would have to concur with this conclusion I suppose, but I always take it as a compliment. In terms of art (and in turn, of life) I am "turned-on" by anything that is different and that can challenge the way I think or view the world.

A perfect example of this is the movie Red State, which I only just watched the trailer for now - and by the way, SO freakin excited to see this movie. The characters are apparently inspired by the followers of the Westboro Baptist Church and their leader Pastor Fred Phelps. For those of you who have never heard of the Westboro Baptist Church, here is a very quick run-down: They are an independent church infamous for their intense hatred of homosexuality, and regularly picket funerals of American soldiers, shouting chants such as "God Hates Fags, God Hates America". This is obviously not what they are exclusively about, so if this interests you, check out Louis Theroux's  fantastic social documentary "The Most Hated Family In America".

So as I was saying, Red State is inspired by these characters; and I would assume their portrayal has been somewhat intensified and hollywoodised, as this film is classified as a horror. The plot is as follows: Three teenage school boys come across an online personal advertisement from an older woman looking for kinky group sex. But what begins as a fantasy takes a dark, violent turn as they come face-to-face with a terrifying fundamentalist force with a fatal agenda*. Definitely one to watch out for.

This one goes out to my pal Jesus*




*Red State. 27th Sundance Film Festival. http://sundance.slated.com/2011/films/redstate_sundance2011. Retrieved 04.02.2011
*That's quite punny actually, cos one of my friend's is nicknamed Jesus, and I think he'd really dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment